Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Chef Bennieman

It has come to my attention that my own fate has potentially had something to do with me developing this cooking project. Well, sort of. I seems my father got wind of what I was doing, and sent me a short line of encouragement as well as a small token that he said he would like to offer for a “historical perspective”. My jaw gaped open upon opening the pic to find myself staring at a child version of me cooking. About 5 years old I reckon. In the kitchen in the house on Hawthorne Road. Cracking eggs that I had collected from the chicken coop in our back yard. They were probably still warm. Yes, a chicken coop. My parents were not your typical Heights parents, and had a streak of back to the land in them. It seems I therefore was destined for these things for some time.



Oh, and one other thing. I’ve been asked to reveal for the world to know that my father, contrary to popular belief, did in fact have a great to deal to offer my culinary education. At a very young age he taught me how to make Kraft Macaroni & Cheese and (frozen) Broccoli “Barbarian Style” as my mother used to call it. In other words all just mixed up in the pot and together like pig slop. Often eaten out of the pot I might add, if she wasn’t looking. Good stuff. Wish I had some now…

3 comments:

  1. BennyChuck you are going to have big fun!! Paula and I always cooked for loads of friends on Sunday at Delray...some of the best times!!
    Before you buy plates and such, get yourself a really good knife or two. Lots of fun and love coming your way xoxxx
    PS: after I watched Julie and Julia I rushed out and bought it. Can you get Pandora Radio? It will solve your music issue!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Jane Anne: how on the same wavelength are we? There are some Henckels knives, four to be precise, on the way over to me as we speak which I purchased on Amazon. Really excited about them. It's a new line they have called Twin Cuisine with a full horizontal tang. I got the 8" Chef knife, 4" paring knife, 6" utility/sandwich knife, and an 8" serrated bread knife. I even got the magnet strip to mount them on the wall. So hopefully I'm set to go! I feel sure I'll need to watch a lot of youtube videos on knife skills though. :)

    ReplyDelete