Thursday, January 14, 2010

The Project Begins

So it's been about 24 hours since I formally got this little idea off the ground and I figured I'd better order the cookbook already or I would quickly find myself in a pickle. Amazon order placed and supposedly en route across the wide wide sea to yours truly. How convenient this world is that we live in.

I was getting a bit worried really and had to get things moving, lest I put the cart in front of the horses on this one. I've gotten nothing but really positive response from the friends whom I've told about the project. Indeed I might have to remind people that not everyone will be able to be invited to the first dinner, whenever that might be. :)

And speaking of the first dinner, I guess I shall have to rely on recipes available online that are reprinted from the original cookbook until such time as the hard copy of the sacred tome arrives in the post (late January). I actually went quite overboard on above said Amazon.com order, buying quite the number of things which will come in very handy during this year's marathon of cuisine. Most of it consists of things I have wanted for a very long time but haven't bought due to the fact that they are not available here, or if they are they are so ridiculously overpriced.

Knives. *sigh* :) I shall finally at long last have real knives for my kitchen. And hopefully I'll never have to buy another knife. I splurged and went for Henckels new "Twin Cuisine" line. Got a really good deal on them actually. Got the 8" Chef Knife, 6" Utility Knife and 4" Paring Knife, which came in a set as well as an 8" Bread Knife which is serrated. I'm a total newbie to all things cutlery, but I quite like that these knives have what's known as a full horizontal tang and are traditionally forged with cold dipped steel process from a single piece of metal. Yeah, baby! If anyone has seen my heinously dangerous utility drawer in my kitchen where all my current crappy knives and tools live, you will be pleased to know that I also went ahead and purchased a wall mounted magnet strip to put these babies out of harms way and to keep them sharp. This makes me very happy. I like looking at things on display. Anyone who's been in my kitchen will know this given the amount of dried foods and pantry items that I have in glass canisters.

I also have added to the heavy cast iron family in my kitchen. I already had a 6" old school cast iron skillet that my mother hand carried in her suitcase last year over here for me, god bless her. But I didn't have a big Dutch Oven. Now I do. Cast iron and enameled 6 quart dutch oven. I didn't go for the Le Creuset for all you purists out there. I just couldn't pay that much for a dang pot. But she sure is a beauty with a gorgeous Caribbean Blue enamel. Same company that my cast iron skillet is from: Lodge (a company that's been cranking out cast iron cookware in the
Appalachian Mountains of Tennessee since William McKinley was in the White House). Again, hope this purchase will outlast me as I don't intend on buying another one.

That pretty much wraps up my kitchen for the most part. I'd love a new cookware set in general like All-Clad or something but I'll let that wait for the time being and make do with what I have.

The rush from pushing the "purchase" button is wearing off, and I reckon I'd better get back to the "real world". But rest assured my loyal followers, the mission has been officially launched now and the wheels are in motion to bring it all together. Let us reflect on my loot being packed by the little elves at Amazon and put on a big plane one day soon to arrive in my arms. Safe travels!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment